Actor Kevin Spacey was charged in the UK with sexual assault on three men

Actor Kevin Spacey (center in the image) at the Nantucket District Court in Nantucket, USA (Nicole Harnishfeger/Pool via REUTERS/File)
Actor Kevin Spacey (center in the image) at the Nantucket District Court in Nantucket, USA (Nicole Harnishfeger/Pool via REUTERS/File)

american actor Kevin Spacey was charged in the UK with sexual assault on three men, The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) reported on Thursday.

“CPS has authorized a criminal proceeding against Kevin Spacey, 62, for four counts of sexual assault on three men,” announced Rosemary Ainslie, chief of the special crimes division.

In a statement, the prosecution notes that he has also “been charged with causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without their consent.”

The cases cover a period between March 2005 and April 2013.

Two charges concern sexual assaults in March 2005 in London against one of the complainants. Another sexual assault involved a second complainant in August 2008, also engaging in penetrative sexual activity without his consent.

The actor is accused of a fourth sexual assault on a third complainant in April 2013 in Gloucestershire, in the southwest of England.

The alleged crimes were committed when the actor ran one of the most historic theaters in London, the Old Vic.

Kevin Spacey (Reuters)
Kevin Spacey (Reuters)

Spacey, star of films such as “American Beauty” and the two-Oscar-winning series “House of Cards,” was the subject of several complaints in the United States for sexual harassment and assault in 2017.

London’s Old Vic theatre, of which Spacey was artistic director from 2004 to 2015, apologized after revealing it had received up to twenty complaints against the actor for inappropriate behavior.

The wave of accusations that ended his career happened in the wake of the rise of the #MeToo movement, which was born from the case of the all-powerful American film producer Harvey Weinstein, who was sentenced to 23 years in prison in 2020.

Actor Anthony Rapp, whose credits include the Broadway musical “Rent” and its film adaptation as well as television’s “Star Trek: Discovery,” said Spacey molested him when he was 14 at a party in the 1980s.

Spacey released a statement in response saying he had no recollection of the encounter, but apologized.

In December 2018, Spacey posted a video in December in which he discussed the sexual abuse allegations, getting into character as Frank Underwood from “House of Cards.”

“You wouldn’t believe the worst without proof, would you? They wouldn’t rush to judgment without facts, would they? They did it? No, not you. They are smarter than that,” Spacey said in the recording he shared on social media of him.

Actor Anthony Rapp (AP)
Actor Anthony Rapp (AP)

In November of last year, Spacey was notified that he would have to pay the studio behind “House of Cards” more than $30 million due to losses caused by his firing for sexual misconduct.

A document filed in Los Angeles Superior Court seeking a judge’s approval of the ruling says arbitrators found that Spacey violated the professional conduct clause in his contract by “engaging in certain conduct in connection with various members of the team in each of the five seasons he starred in and executive produced House of Cards.”

At the Cannes Film Festival, the trailer for his new film, “Peter Five Eight”, was premiered, in which he gives life to a serial killer and that ironically is being promoted under the slogan: “The guilty always pay the price.”

Keep reading:

We want to say thanks to the writer of this short article for this outstanding content

Actor Kevin Spacey was charged in the UK with sexual assault on three men